Monday, January 14, 2013

Unraveled by Gena Showalter


Rating 3.75
          Unraveled is the second book in Gena Showalter’s Intertwined series. It follows the story of Aden Stone who have three- formally four- human souls trapped in his head. As if this wasn’t enough each soul has a different power. Elijah can predict the future, Caleb can possess people, and Julian can raise the dead. Now, while Aden is the main character of the story, the novel also closely follows the story of his friend, Mary Ann who mutes Aden’s powers and their relationships with Victoria, a vampire princess and Aden’s girlfriend, and Riley Victoria’s guard and Mary Ann’s boy friend.
So basically what you need to know about the last book is Aden was crowned Vampire king, but he isn’t a vampire. Also someone is going to stab him sometime soon. The group also had a run in with some witches that Mary Ann and Aden accidently alone with other supernaturals lured to Crossroads Oklahoma. Now these witches cursed the group with death if Aden doesn’t show up to some meeting they told him nothing about. Fun right?
        
         Let us start with Mary Ann. I tried so hard to like her, I really did, but sometimes she is too much of the typically whiny heroine. She doesn’t know why Riley likes her, she is so plain, she isn’t as special as his other girlfriends, and she is a burden. However, unlike most Mary Ann does something about it. She tries to help the group by coming up with plans and observing the witches. She even goes to Aden for self defense lesson.  She honestly tries her hardest to prove herself in this book and you got to love her for it.  I just admire her for her selflessness as well and even through her insecurities she really is a strong character especially in the end. For all these reasons though Mary Ann also stands as probably my favorite character. 

           The plot was kind of irrelevant in some spots. By that I mean a lot of the plot I feel was spent setting up events for the next novel rather than the current problem of ‘we are all going to die in 2 days’.  The focus was not really even on that little problem until about half way through. And I am going to be honest, half the time I was waiting for some Mary Ann/ Riley moments because I love them even if Mary Ann gets on my nerves sometimes.

            Little quirks aside this really was an excellent book. I constantly found myself wondering what was going to happen next.  I love this because so many books are super predictable but this one was just full of plot twists. I can’t wait to read the next one Twisted. I would recommend it as well as its predecessor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment